The Winter season is the season of sweaters and overcoats. You may already be piling hot chocolate, soup, medicines, and tissues in your cupboards. Apart from all the good things cold, unfortunately, also brings viral infections and the common cold or fever. Since your immunity is affected during the winter season, you become more vulnerable to catching the infection. But instead of hoping not to fall ill and rely on medicines, you can follow these 5 tips to boost immunity this winter season and see the benefits for yourself.
Why cold is so common in the winter season?
Our immune system does an amazing job of dealing with the germs that live in and on us. It identifies and can differentiate harmless and harmful ones and knows how to keep us safe from them. However, cold and flu viruses develop very quickly. There are over 200 of them and they all keep evolving. So, if your system develops immunity to one virus, it may not be able to recognize the virus the next time it comes in another form. Thus, in order not to come down with a cold, you not only need to wear proper winter clothes, but you also need to prepare your immunity system or try immunity booster tips for battle.
Now let’s talk about tips to boost immunity:
1. Never skip your breakfast: Getting up early for breakfast doesn’t seem so important when you can get a little extra sleep and take an early lunch. But this non-critical function is very important for your body. What happens is, you technically fast all night while you sleep and break that fast by having breakfast in the morning. And by missing it, you put pressure on your body, which reduces immunity. Thus, make sure you have a healthy and filling breakfast in the morning. You can eat fresh fruits, boiled eggs, egg omelet, poha, sandwiches or cheela whatever you like.
2. Always eat healthy food: Your body function in different conditions depending on what you eat throughout the year. You may have a tough time in the winter season if your diet is lacking in important nutrients. So, make sure you have plenty of these winter foods which will also help you to have a healthy gut.
- Ginger: Your mother may have made ginger tea for you when you got the flu. The gingerols and shogaols present in ginger root kill the viruses that cause colds. therefore, consume more ginger in the winter season as it can also protect against cold.
- Green vegetables: All dark leafy vegetables are rich in antioxidants, beta carotene, and vitamin C, all of which are only going to keep you safe in the winter season. Love them as much as you love spinach-loving popeye.
- Citrus fruits: Vitamin C plays an essential role in preventing infection. And citrus fruits like orange, lime, lemon, and grapefruit are full of it. Since your body cannot produce vitamin C on its own, it is essential that you consume food rich in vitamin C to meet your body’s needs.
- Capsicum: Capsicum is also rich in vitamin C which fights infections and boosts immunity. Along with this, your eyes and skin will also get benefit from vitamin C.
- Mushrooms: Your delicious food mushrooms are loaded with selenium, niacin, riboflavin, and vitamin D. This immunity booster ability of mushrooms is reason enough to never say no to them.
- Garlic: Garlic is not only to enhance flavor. It contains sulfur-containing compounds like allicin that can improve your immunity. Garlic can also benefit people suffering from high blood pressure and poor digestion.
3. Always stay hydrated: We totally understand that in this cold weather you don’t feel like drinking much water. But staying hydrated in the winter season is just as important as it is in summer. Water flushes out toxins from the body and can also improve blood circulation. Thus, drink plenty of water even during winters to not get dehydrated and improve your immunity. To enhance its taste, add a slice of lemon or apple or any fruit you like and make your own flavored water.
4. Take proper rest: When you close your eyes, your body starts repairing and renewing its cells. Therefore, people who do not get enough sleep easily catch a cold. So, make sure you get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every day. Also, try to get quality sleep. Sticking to bedtime, avoiding caffeine before bedtime, and staying in a quiet and dark room to sleep can be helpful.
5. Maintain hygiene: The survival time of cold and flu viruses on a surface is up to 24 hours. Only one sick person can spread those viruses to everyone around. Therefore, maintaining cleanliness is of utmost importance. Thoroughly sanitize door latches, switches, and anything that almost everyone touches. Make sure you clean your technical devices like mobile phones and laptops as well. Basic hygiene rules like using tissue while sneezing or coughing, frequent hand washing, not touching eyes and mouth with dirty hands should be strictly followed.
So these were the best 5 tips for immunity booster in the winter season. Try these tips and it will improve your immunity so that you will not suffer from cold and flu in this winter season.
If you have any query then contact us and if you like the article then subscribe to us and leave a comment.
Follow us on Instagram for motivation health and fitness content. Fitnessaddictionhub